STARTING PROBLEMS

Chevrolet Truck

I have a 1981 Chevrolet K30 with the 454 and TH 400. The mileage is somwhere around 130000. So this is the problem, the main power wires that come off the starter solenoid up to the wiring harness inbetween the firewall and the engine totally fried. When it happened I was driving and of course lost all power and the engine stalled. I replaced the wires and connectors but it won't start. The solenoid doesn't engage, and I have no power to any of the lights. No brake lights, head lights, blinkers, interior light, reverse lights, nothing. Funny thing is I have power to the radio, power locks, power windows, and when I turn the key to start the engine the brake instrument lamp lights up. I have no clue what to do next. I have checked all the fuses and they are good. What do I try now?
Drewciffer

Fuses, what about fusible links at the starter positive cable terminal. Did you check them?

Thanks for your reply. There are no fuse links between the battery and the starter. I do know that there is a fuse link somewhere on the inside of the firewall becasuse I had it replaced (by professional) last October. As far as I know, though, that was for the charging system.

Drewciffer
Try Alty side the fuse link looks like a barrel shape within the red wire going towards the firewall

Again I appreciate your help. Unfortanately there is no fuse link there either. I am just stumped. Can you think of anything else?
Thanks so much.

Drewciffer
I was just wondering if you checked the wire to the selinoid, to see if you had any voltage there at all. If not you'll have to follow the wires back. If the voltage is there then the starters messed up.

Newburg