92 CHEVY CAMARO RS

1992 Chevrolet Truck

I currently have this car to where it will start - But only when it is at high idle. As soon as the vehicle drops down to normal idle or it is given any gas it shuts off. I also had the vehicle fire back up through the throttle body when I tried to apply gas when the vehicle was being started. The vehicle has been basically sitting here in my parents home for about 3 years now. Last time I was home I changed out the entire ignition system and it worked fine. When I got home this time it worked fine for the first day.

I tried starting the car up the second day I was home and it wouldnt due to the problem mentioned above. So I thought possibly a fuel problem so I changed out the fuel filter to make sure it wasnt being blocked. It also seems that the only way to get the car to start is to just barely crank the starter a couple times and then actually try to start it. The two options I was wondering about is possibly a bad fuel pump or maybe bad fuel?

Let me know what you think. Thanks alot

-Shaun
Mongo0se

Will check these out in the morning thanks for the reply.

Mongo0se
Looked into the Fuel pressure regulator and my car doesnt have one from what I can tell. I believe they were only used on the TPI Systems. My car is using the TBI system. Also I checked into the vacuum system and could find no problems. Currently this is also the stuff I have changed trying to find the problem.

Spark Plugs/Wires
Fuel Filter
Air Charge Temperature Sensor
Ignition Module

Noticeable problems - Car starts but immediatly after the high idle(when started) and transition to normal idle the car shuts off - Car will also not start up directly the key has to usually be turned in 2-3 quick turns and the 4th turn or so it will start. If given gas when started trying to keep the engine started it will also shut it off. I have had it backfire through the intake only one time while trying to give the vehicle gas upon starting.

Also, Upon the initial high starting the car sounds normal like no problems.

Another quick question. The car has been sitting for about 3 years now. Do you think that the gas has possibly broken down and causing this problem?
Thanks for the help and would appreciate another go at it.

Mongo0se
I had the same exact problem with my 91 rs.
The computer was bad in it. It would only work when it wanted to. I replaced everything in it before checking it.
35 bucks at junkyard. Never had a problem since

91camaro

i agree when reading the upper post thats what I was thinking to reply then 91camaro beat me to it. Good luck

Palco
Better check the computer. I wasted alot of money before doin so. Could have did much better things than replace stuff that didnt need replacing

91camaro