TRAILBLAZER HEADLIGHT REPLACEMENT

2003 Chevrolet Truck

Could you please describe, in detail, how to replace the low beam headlight on a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer? My passenger's side headlight burnt out last week and it is not very obvious how to replace it. I checked the owner's manual and the bulb number isn't even listed. But after some research, I believe the low beam bulb is a #9005 and the high beam is a #9006. Is this correct? I would hate to have to go to the dealership to get a bulb replaced but at this point, I need to do something ASAP. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Hitthe03trail

If you cant directly access the rear of the lens assembly them GM usually put retaining rods that snap into place that hold the entire light in the truck. Look for two approx 1/4 inch rods on top of the light assembly

Jack42
There is no possible way to access the rear of the lens unless you have a hand the size of a 3 month old child. Other research I've done prior to coming to this forum, although it was for the 2002 Trailblazer, said to remove the entire grill assembly as well as various other parts to get to the headlight bulb. However, after comparing those instructions with my 2003 model, it does not appear to be exactly the same construction. I also did not see any retaining rods on top of the assembly. Everything is so close around the light assembly, I'm not convinced that I won't have to remove the entire front the vehicle just to change this bulb. What's the deal with that, GM? Guess they want to be sure you HAVE to go to the Dealer for help since the only replacement bulb information in the owners manual is for the taillights. It says to see the Dealer for all other bulb replacements and I guess they want to make sure you do.

Hitthe03trail
I did some further investigations on the internet and discovered on the Trailvoy. Com forum, there was a complete description of how to replace the headlight, with very detailed pictures. As information, you do have to remove the grille and then the headlight assembly to replace the bulb. If you are looking for excellent headlight replacement information, sign onto this website (it's free) and click on the articles tab and then search for removing the headlight which has a link to removing the grille. I'll be giving it a go tomorrow, weather permitting.

Hitthe03trail
Yeah you dont have to remove the grille to replace the lights. Ihave a 03 TB and as the man said above there are 2 retaining rods on top of the light assembly which will allow the whole lens to come out giving access to the back. Shouldnt take more than 2 mins to change and dosent require any tools

Syncrait
I can't find any retaining rods or anything else that will allow the assembly to come out. There is no way to get to the back and be able to remove bulbs. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Dds1369
There are 2 clips that need to be pulled up to release the light assembly. The grille piece just cilps on to the front of the lights and front and pull off.

DOzment
I had the hardest time changing the passenger side low beam bulb until I took the air filter cover off. Gave me the room I needed to get a pair of needlenose in there and twist it off.

And ther are no clips on the 03 TB to remove the or tilt the headlight.

Lump
There is a clip on the right and one under the side of the hood on the left. Use a long screwdriver to lift the left clip because I'm a girl and my hands didn't fit into that small space well enough to lift it. You do take of the plastic part of the grille that has the Chevy logo on it off. Once those two clips are pulled up the whole headlight will fall forward. Pop off the lround lamp cover and twist the light out lefty loosey but I hope your strong because twisting the old headlamp out sucks but trying to get the new one in sucks worse. Good luck! And hey if a little blonde can do you so can you : -)

Fergie99