CAVALIER SPEEDOMETER PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Truck

I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with 10549 miles on it, and the speedometer is acting like it wants to work, but most of the time, it doesn't. Once, it even got stuck. I called the repair shop and they said that they would replace the sppedometer and it would be $500 + tax. I am in college and this is a little steep. What do you propose? The person who had the car before me really did not take care of the car.
Dodavis

The speedo gear isnt all that hard to replace you might be able to fix urself

Lilwills
How do I go about doing that? Is it behind the needle?

Dodavis
It is down on the output shaft of the tranny

Lilwills
Where is that? I thought that the whole cluster was electronic for the 03.

Dodavis
If its electronic operated I'll go for the VSS at the tranny for a start.

Thanks, I'll try that asap!

Dodavis
Just posted with the same problem. Vss was good, turned out to be cluster in dash which I got at salvage yard for $35. The vss controls shifting and cruise control as well as speedometer. My car shifted fine and cruise control worked. Bought a service book and attempted to check for voltage going to speedo cluster( at dash). Couldnt figure which wires to read so took a chance at salvage yard. Soved problem. Now only problem is new cluster shows wrong milaege. Oh well, can't win em all!

Bymech