CHEVY 92 CHEV 1500 V6, NO FUEL AT STARTUP-WILL R

1992 Chevrolet Truck

1992 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I have a 92 Chevy 1500 V6 4.3L that will crank and run for a few seconds then die. It sat for about five weeks in wet weather with only a few gallons of fuel.I put in new gas, a fuel filter, and ethelyne glycol. Thinking I flooded it with pumping, I let the carb air out and it started and drove fine after some initial sputtering.

After being parked for a day, the problem is back. I put in a new sending unit/fuel pump about 5k miles ago and a new distributor/coil/wires/plugs 2k ago. The fuel flows once it gets going, is there a relay or something that primes the fuel pump/engine? Could it be the carb itself?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!
Brian
Bmpetty

Do you hear the fuel pump come On for 2 secs-If so check the fuel pressure if its within specs. If you don't hear the fuel pump -check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay.

Thanks, Ras! I'll try that.

Bmpetty
I have replaced the fuel relay and oil pressure switch. The fuse is fine and I can pump gas into the engine with the pedal but cannot keep it running.

Could I have a problem with the fuel pump or the TBI? I notice that the check gauges light is on as well, which I don't ever recall seeing lit with the key on.

Can one " bench test" the ECM?

I have read a lot on this site and think I am confusing myself. How do I check the fuel pressure regulator, and will I have to replace the entire spider if that is the issue?

Finally. There is what appears to be some sort of ground wire that has frayed and broken going from the frame to the fuel line back by the filler neck. Is this the problem?
Thanks much!

Bmpetty
Hello, in review of the discussion I don't see where you checked the fuel pressure as rasmataz suggested.

This is important before you go on. You may have replaced the pump but that doesn't mean it is working correctly.

Example, there are numerous Chevy Trucks to choose from. Not totally sure of your exact model, but for a 1992 Chevy Truck C 1500 P/U 2WD V6-262 4.3L VIN Z the FUEL PRESSURE SPECIFICATION is
Ignition ON Engine OFF 62-90 kPa (9-13 psi).

You don't want to chase rabbits and replace parts you dont' need to. I would check the fuel pressure first before going any further.

Let us know - good luck

ImpalaSS
Sorry, forgot to mention that part. Fuel pressure is good and sprays in a nice cone from the injectors. Better than I remember, actually. (I cleaned the throttle body extensively.)

I find it interesting the obvious difference after replacing the mentioned parts and a good scrub-down! But I digress

I've checked all connectors and wiring as well. I believe I am down to trying a new ECU, unless someone can think of something I missed? I literally spent the last two days going through top to bottom. The thing looks nicer than when I bought it!

Thanks for your help so far!

Brian

Bmpetty
First it is not possible to pump the pedal on injection and flood it it does not have an accelorator pump. Now you say you have fuel so the next thing is do you have spark at the spark plugs? Lets keep it simple first and go through what would seem like the obvious and then go from there ok.

Racefan966