CHEVY TRANS NOT SHIFTING

1981 Chevrolet Truck

1981 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

i have an 81 chevy 1/2 ton, with 350 turbo auto trans. While its in park, you can put it in drive or reverse and it works but will not shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Also if your sitting still idling and you pull it all the way down to low 1 and try to shift it back up, it free slips until it finally catches a gear. Any ideas? It does the same thing if you grab the piece coming out the side of the trans. And move it from park to low 1, it has about a 60 degree slip before it catches and then clicks back up.
Stubbytattoo

It sounds like low throttle body pressure, adjust the cable to the throttle body pressure coming off the carburetor.

Dr Loot
I didnt make my post real clear so im gonna try again. With the engine off and the transmission in park. I disconnected the linkage from the side of the transmission. Then I turn the shaft from where I disconnected the linkage, from the park position thru L1. But, when I go to shift it back up thru the gears, it free spins to about the Neutral position and then starts clicking gears again but does not go to the park position.

Stubbytattoo
You will have to remove the transmission pan, and look at the linkage internally to make sure you have not sheared the park pin, it will be pretty self-explanatory when you remove the pan and move the linkage you will see how it works let me know what you find.

Dr Loot