CHEVY FAN BLOWER NOT WORKING

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Air Conditioning problem
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

My fan blower does not work on settings 4 and 5 and now only sometimes works on settings 1-3. Although cool air still comes through the ducts.
Willie7841

Subject:
EI05082 - Loss of Blower Motor Speeds Except for Low Speed or Inoperative (Replace Blower Motor Resistor and Resistor Module Connector)

Models:
2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006
2004-2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL
2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

with HVAC System AC Front, Manual Temp Control (RPO CJ3) or Heater Only (RPO C42)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-012B (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the blower will only work on low speeds or has become inoperative.

Correction

REPLACE THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND RESISTOR MODULE CONNECTOR.

Replace the blower motor resistor and module connector using the following procedure:

Remove the blower fuse.

Fullsize Trucks and Utility Vehicles - Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses

Midsize Utility Vehicles - Blower Fuse 35 located in the Underhood Fuse Block

Lower the hush panel or close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.

Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.

Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.

Tip

Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.

Install new blower motor resistor.

Reinstall the fuse or connector block. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.

Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/147643_connector_3.jpg

follow this info and post back with what you find.

Brian 1
Thanks for sharing this information. I replaced my resistor and resistor connector in under 2 hours - which included driving to the auto part store. The repair cost me $98.00. I am thankful for your site and my mechanical aptitude - it saved me a couple hundred dollars and a bunch of hassle waiting for it at a shop.

Hudman