CHEVY POWER STEERING AND SERPENTINE BELT Q

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Steering problem
2003 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

So here is my problem. I took my car to a service station for a routine oil change and tire rotation service. I drove my car to the service station and dropped it off to the technicians with NO PROBLEMS-my car was running perfectly. When they finished my car and gave me the keys I got into my car to leave and noticed that I had NO power steering.

Is it possible that they spilled oil on my belt which made it come off and ruin the entire power steering component pump, belt etc or is it just a weird thing that happened?
AIS

If the belt just came off its not likely to ruin the power steering system. Have them reinstall the belt (no charge of course) and check all pulleys, and pulley alignment.

Tooomanytoys
Does that mean its just a coincidence that my power steering happened to go out while in their posession?

AIS
Maybe, but like you said before maybe they spilled some oil on it. Did the shop put the belt back on or are they trying to sell you a bunch of stuff?

Tooomanytoys
They told me my car was undrivable and they wanted to send me to a shop down the street to fix it because they only do oil changes. I called a towing company and had my car towed to my mechanic but the repairs are quite expesnsive and I feel like the place is somewhat responsible. I'm just trying to figure out if I have a case against them or if it was just a freak thing.

AIS
Costly? What exactly are they selling you? If the belt was off as soon as you got in you vehicle in the oil change parking lot. They should be responsible for reparing it.

Tooomanytoys
The total cost for parts, labor and tow to my mechanic is going to cost me $425.74. $112 for the tow, $99 for labor and $313.74 for parts. I needed a whole new power steering system pump and belt.

AIS
Ouch! Did they say what caused the pump to go bad. Was the pump run low on fluid?

Tooomanytoys