CHEVY MY CAR DOESN'T GET OUT OF PARK

2003 Chevrolet Tracker

2003 Chevy Tracker 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 75678 miles

I HAVE A CAR THAT U HAVE TO STEP ON THE BRAKE TO PRESS THE BUTTON ON THE SHIFTER TO GET IT OUT OF PARK. WELL I'M STEPPING ON THE BRAKE AND IT STUCK IN PARK. IT STARTED 2 DAYS AGO AND IT GOT OUT OF PARK TWICE\. I OPENED THE SHIFTER AND THERE IS A button with a spring and a long rod. How do I go around the stepping on the braKE. HOW DOES TOW TRUCKS PUT U IN NETRUAL EVEN IF THEY DON'T HAVE YOUR KEY
JRAMBO127

This vehicle has a small solenoid on the shifter that when it gets power from the brake switch unlocks a tab to shift out of park. First check to see if the brake lights come on when pressing the brake pedal. If they do not light up it may have a blown fuse. If the brake lights do illuminate get a test light, and back probe the two wires at the shifter solenoid, and step on the brake. If the test lamp lights. It may need the shifter solenoid, and if memory serves correctly it comes with the whole shifter. If the test light does not light up there maybe a problem at the brake switch or wires. Most tow companies disconnect the linkage at the transmission and shift the vehicle into neutral manually.

Tooomanytoys