1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

97 Tahoe LT 4WD 5.7L 140kmiles -- shakes when stopping even from moderate speeds. Other forums mention warped rotors and drums out-of-round as the cause, and the problem seems to go away for a while after brake jobs, but always comes back. Some folks suggest this is a design flaw and recommend replacing rotors and drums every couple of brake jobs, but this seems excessive. Any suggestions, and are after-market performance rotors or drums less susceptible to warping/overheating? If I have to buy new rotors and drums, I'd want to get ones that actually solve the problem. Thanks!

I have had the same problem with my 95. Living in Kentucky, the brakes and rotors get a work out just going up and down hills in normal driving, but I am also a volunteer firefighter and take my truck to a majority of our scenes. They do make thicker rotors which I have put on mine. They do help some. We also replaced pads and the proportioning valve, and mastercylinder at the same time. That was 2 years ago. Another mechanic just told me that warping of the rotors can occur if your axle joints are going out. Hope this helps!

My big, bad Chevy towing my husbands 'lil Ford! Love it!