97 BRAKE PROBLEMS

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

97 Tahoe LT 4WD 5.7L 140kmiles -- shakes when stopping even from moderate speeds. Other forums mention warped rotors and drums out-of-round as the cause, and the problem seems to go away for a while after brake jobs, but always comes back. Some folks suggest this is a design flaw and recommend replacing rotors and drums every couple of brake jobs, but this seems excessive. Any suggestions, and are after-market performance rotors or drums less susceptible to warping/overheating? If I have to buy new rotors and drums, I'd want to get ones that actually solve the problem. Thanks!
Pampeyan

I have had the same problem with my 95. Living in Kentucky, the brakes and rotors get a work out just going up and down hills in normal driving, but I am also a volunteer firefighter and take my truck to a majority of our scenes. They do make thicker rotors which I have put on mine. They do help some. We also replaced pads and the proportioning valve, and mastercylinder at the same time. That was 2 years ago. Another mechanic just told me that warping of the rotors can occur if your axle joints are going out. Hope this helps!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/115083_Dads_truck007_1.jpg

My big, bad Chevy towing my husbands 'lil Ford! Love it!

Robin355