CHEVY HARD TO STEER AFTER SETTING FOR 8 OR MORE

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe

Steering problem
2001 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

When my Tahoe sets for 8 or more hours it is hard to turn the steering wheel until it has been running for 2 - 4 minutes. Worse when it is cold outside. When I turn the steering wheel the pump makes noise. I replaced the power steering unit with no change. I have checked the fluid level many times and it is always at the full level. When I jack my Tahoe up and turn the steering wheel with the engine on or off it turns very easy. Could my original pump be bad and the replacement also bad? Any test a weekend mechanic can do at home? All suggestins are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lew
Lewstoner

Lew, when you say you replaced the " power steering unit" Do you mean the pump or the steering sector? Please advise.

James W.
I replaced the power steering pump.

Lewstoner
The chance of you having 2 bad pumps is poor to none. It has to be your sector. Yours is the 2nd Tahoe I've had this month with the same problem. Apparently the seals go bad and " dead head" the pump making it bypass. Hope this helps.

James W.
What and where is the sector? Can a good weekend mechanic repair or replace this item? I have restored antique cars. Do you replace the seals or do you change out the entire unit? All info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lew

Lewstoner
Lew, what you have is a rack & pinion assem. They are rebuildable, but I have found in the past you have about a 50% failure rate trying to rebuild one. The best bet is to buy a rebuilt unit. They are not hard to change and you will want to have the front end alligned afterwards to make sure everything is square to the world. Hope I have helped you.

James W.
Very helpful. Greatly appreciated. Lew

Lewstoner
Glad to help. Let me know how it goes.

James W.
About 2 weeks ago I replaced the rack and pinion. Followed instructions including purging the air. Still does not steer correctly. Most of the time it is fine. But once in a while when I am turning around in my drive the steering is real stiff. Intermittent. Does not seem to be related to how long I have driven or how cold the vehicle or weather is. Power steering pump makes a little noise when I turn the steering wheel while stopped or traveling slow. Any ideas?

Lewstoner