CHEVY ENGINE TIMING

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe

1998 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

I replaced the rotor & cap on the tahoe, and overtightened one of the distributor cap screws. Overtightening the screw broke out the threaded hole in the plastic base. I would like to replace the distributor, but the only information I get about setting the timing, it that it is not adjustable. How do I really set the timing?
Greenone

If you haven't taking the distributor out mark the position of the rotor on the cap and also make a mark on the distributor base and intake manifold before you remove it-this is your reference point.

I was planning to toss the original all plastic distributor in the garbage can, and the new distributor will not have marks on it. I can guess where the marks should be on the new all metal distributor, but that seems silly. Is there a better way to check timing?

Greenone
If you want to go the hard way you have to put piston no.1 on its compression stroke/TDC and line the crank pulley to TDC/0 then install the distributor making sure the rotor points to the no.1 cap tower.

If your talking about ignition timing the computer takes care of that -non adjustable. If its the valve timing you have to do above.

Okay, I'll give it a try with just the marks. Do you know how many degrees off TDC the distributor rotor can be and still allow the computer to compensate for ignition timing?

Greenone
Engine is still in one piece. Much appreciated rasmataz. Now I can get back to solving the original problem, which is that I get a rough idle when I'm on the brake pedal and shifted into drive at a stop sign. The engine seems to run smoothly at all other conditions. I do get a P0102 MAF, which I have cleaned. I also get a P0304 misfire but I have now replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, #4 plug again, #4 wire again, used throttle body cleaner on the throttle body and the EGR valve. I'm beginning to think I have an injector problem, or a spider problem, or maybe a vacuum leak? Any ideas?

Greenone
Check your fuses under the hood

Teddy bear