CHEVY WON'T START

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

1996 Chevy Tahoe 267000 miles

Every morning I start my tahoe for about 15 min or so before I take off to work. This morning I turned it on but also turned on the defrost because my windows were fogged. Well after some time passed I noticed I couldn't hear it running. I went outside & the tahoe was not running, but the defrost was still on. I turned it off & restarted it but it died after a few seconds. Restarted it again this time I pushed the gas a few times & it stayed on. It started just fine when I went to lunch, but it wouldn't start when I needed to go back. The needle on my gas guage bounces back & forth once it hits to half tank so I don't know for sure how much gas I have. I can smell gas sometimes when I start my vehicle and you can hear a knocking noise when it idles. Help!
Toni Davis

It sounds like you have more than one problem. With 267000 miles this is probably the case. Where is the gas smell coming from -- the engine compartment or the rear of the Tahoe? Hard starting is a signal that the fuel pump may be failing. What is the fuel pressure? There is bound to be some knocking in the engine with 267000 miles on it. What is the oil pressure? Does the oil pressure gauge go to zero when you shut off the engine?

Pear69