1500 LT 4WD TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM 88888K MILES

2004 Chevrolet Suburban

Engine size: unsure
Purchased 9/2006 at 77K miles.
No problems w/car performance.
At initial purchase had car looked at, was told was in good shape, had oil changed, all fluids checked, and air filter changed.
Went in for Maintenance 2 service, and Mechanics found transmission fluid in the 4WD transfer case. (They told me that the transmission and transfer case are connected), Dave estimated that 1 quart of fluid drained from the Transfer case. Fluid level was normal in the transmission.
No fluid leaks from the car.

Dave guesses that there is a leak from the transmission to the transfer case, as you can't overfill the transfer case.

He asked me to change the fluid in the transfer case to GM recommended fluid, and then to get the transfer case and the transmission fluid checked at the next oil change. (I drive mostly highway miles, so could be 6-7K miles before oil life indicates down to 0%).

Could you give me an idea of what might be wrong if indeed there is transmission fluid in the transfer case?

I did look up the owners manual-> 4WD has a different fluid in the transfer case compared to 2WD which requires transmission fluid).

Thanks@
Dtg1990