STALL PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

2003 Z71 suburban - 5.3L -102k miles.
Several problems, however I'll start with the major problem of stalling while driving. First started noticing problem when I drove it to PHX (hot) a week ago. The vehicle will eventually start back up after a couple of minutes, runs fine for 10-20 miles, then same thing. This is all in the day time of 85 + degrees, notice at night time it runs fine with out stalls. Is something overheating? The stall usually happens when you demand a little more acceleration, then idle speed drops below 1k then turns off.

I took it into the dealer shop with no bad checks, all is well I’m told, no SES light. Changed spark plugs, Change air filter to K& N, Fuel system clean process. Checked transmission fluids.

Other problems - Speedometer dead, Bose Stereo system works when it wants to, Service air-bags light comes on at random

Some say it’s the fuel pump going bad, I had that replaced several months back. Would daytime heat play a roll in malfunctioning in the pump?
Shiboy

I had a similar problem, but was more random stalling. I have a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7L V8. Common problem with this engine was the " crankshaft positioning sensor" I chased this stalling problem for 2 years, and about $3K, and the code never came up when they ran it under the computer. Changed the $80 part and she runs like a dream. May be worth checking out.

Naterzr2
I have had a similar problem from a 2003 tahoe with flex fuel motor. Had fuel pump replaced yesterday, but still stalls periodically. Vehicle can be shut off for 1-2 min and problem corrects itself. If I don't run the a/c. It's fine. I have about 90,000 miles

Kytonj
Shiboy, I've got the exact same problem. My Ford E150 4.9L I6 automatic cargo van stalls when driving in hot weather after the engine temp goes past vertical, about 10 - 15 minutes. Then it restarts after 5-10 minutes, but stalls again, and again. But it runs fine if the weather is cool or overcast. Replacing the ignition module didn't help, and I don't want to spend $1,000's to replace all suspect parts. I thinking its the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). Something that heats up in hot weather yet isn't directly related to enging temp. Haven't figured it out yet. : (

Thinkofwhy
The 5.3's had a tsb on a leaking fuel pressure regulator. While this may not be the problem, it's worth checking.

I would say the chances of an overheating problem being the fuel pump is probably not that high. Ever since the manufactures sank the fuel pumps in the tanks, things like vapor lock, and overheating have become a thing of the past. Not to say that fuel pumps dont go bad, because they do. I just dont see too many that are heat related.
It sounds like something under your hood is overheating and causing the problem. I would suggest getting it up to temperature, and taking it to the dealer for repair on the hottest day going. Make them test drive it until they get stranded. Then they will make an attempt to fix it.
Good luck, because as this post is showing, one of the largest problems we are faced with these days are cars that stall, or dont start while they are hot. I wish there was a simple explination that would fix each one, but I am affraid it can be so many different things.
The best thing you guys can do is post what actually fixed your problems when they are fixed.

Mikeybdman