CHEVY REAR END MAKING NOISE

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99400 miles

I have 20" wheels, a belltech 2" lowering springs and shocks, baer alumasport brakes and custom stainless brake lines. I have replaced the shocks twice. Everytime I turn I hear a clunking noise that comes from the rear. I inspected the springs, brakes, swaybar, spare tire underneath. Could there be something in the axle itself making a noise(bearings) differential. It is driving me nuts.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/370106_SuburbanSide_1.jpg

Badbowtie

Does it have a tow package? You may be hearing thelimited slip unit clicking or possibly another rear end issue if it is an open diff. If that checks out ok, I would suspect ehsprings or something related directly to them. If they have poly bushings instead of rubber you will hear alot more noise compared to the factory rubber bushings. Get under it and be sure all u-bolts and shock mounts are tight

Jack42
Yes, it does have the tow package. It came with traction assist, locking differential, and 4.10 rear end. If it is the differential, how expensive is the repair? Is there anything I can do to further isolate the noise in the rear and determine that it is the problem.

Badbowtie
The price would really depend on what is wrong. Have someone ride in the rear of the vehicle while you make the noise, they can move around to locate the sound. Are all of the bushings lubed and everything tight?

Jack42
I finally took the car to the dealer. They replaced a cross connect bar on the rear axle. The bushings had gone bad. A $380 repair. I still don't know exactly what it looks like or why I missed it when I was under the car, but the noise is gone. Thanks for your help.

Badbowtie