CHEVY MY TEMP GAUGE IS TO THE RIGHT, BUT NOT

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Computer problem
1999 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I had my check engine light on for about a week.I saw no problems and couldn't get to o'reilly to test codes yet. Today it seemed to overheat, even though it had coolant/water a few weeks ago. My wife said the gauge just went up, and it started running rough, and died when she pulled into work. The radiator took about 1.5 gallons of water/coolant today. I changed the thermostat in 5 degree weather outside walmart. The gauge is still to the right PAST the hottest number. I drove it, stopped, checked the radiator. Loosened the cap a bit, it had hot water transfered okay and was pressurized okay. So it seems to be cooling okay. It is just that the gauge is still over and it STILL runs and idles rough. I don't think the needle is stuck, because when you turn the key on. The temp needle moves a bit farther to the right. Would a faulty temp sensor cause this?
Longracing25