CHEVY WINDSHIELD WASHER MOTOR

1998 Chevrolet Suburban

1998 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 387500 miles

The rear wiper and washer work. The from wipers work but the washer does not pump. It appears they are both on the same fuse but the front washer motor does not run. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Bigjohn510

First of all thank you so much for your donation. Do you have a multimeter?Also can you hear the washer pump make any noise when turning it on?

Yes, I have a multimeter and know how to use it. The washer motor does not run.

I have now dis-assembled the washer assembly and have learned that both motors have the same reading, ohm =~ 3.5 when detached from the wiring. So the motor does not appear to be shorted or the fuse would also blow.

Both appear to be in equal physical condition.

Voltage readings from the plug for each when not attached to the pump but with the switch activated; Front - From 0 up to ~ 11.5 but very intermittent
Rear - ~ 12.5 V, pretty steady

I have checked each fuse for front and rear and they are both good. Ohm readings equal and fine. Voltage readings in the fuse block are correct for both. Are there any other fuses, relays, circuit breakers, etc to check?

It is apparent that the switch or maybe another fuse/relay/circuit breaker are not putting power from the washer switch on the joy stick to the pump. Maybe the switch is bad. Is there an easy way to check the joy stick? All other functions, turn signals, headlights, etc work fine on the joy stick.

Thanks,

John

Is there something else to check? If so, where and how? Anything else to check

Bigjohn510
So are you checking the front pump's voltage across the two terminal's or are you checking the voltage side by itself to a good ground and checking the ground side to a good ground with ohm's setting and looking for 2 ohm's or less to ground?Checking them one at a time is the way you should be checking them. Let me know what you find.

The motor was bad, replaced and all is fine now?

Bigjohn510
So is all fine now that you replaced it?