NOT STARTING

1997 Chevrolet Suburban

I have a 1997 Suburban LT 4x4 w/109500 miles. I packed up the family to go to dinner but the Suburban would not start. It cranks very healthly but will not turn over. I suspected the fuel pump but when I turn the key to the " on" position I hear the " whirring" of the pump although it seems to be slightly louder than before. I replaced the fuel filter last year. If the fuel pump is " whirring" can it still be faulty? What else should I be looking at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wfadely

Check to see if you have any spark. Pull the coil wire off the distibutor cap, stick a long flat head screwdriver in the wire. While holding the handle lay the screwdriver close to metal (i.E. A bracket) and have someone crank the engine over. If you don't see any spark then look into replacing the ingnition module or coil. Be careful with the spark test and don't get shocked. Good luck

Bootdog