CHEVY ALTERNATOR WONT CHARGE

1997 Chevrolet Suburban

1997 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 97 2500 Suburban. I started it and the battery light stayed on. The voltage guage showed only battery voltage, (11-12 volts). I took the alternator to the parts store and it passed the test twice. I placed it back on the vehicle and it still would not charge. I purchased a new one and put it on. It still wont charge. It is a 1 wire type. Through research on the internet I think that there is a short between the alternator and the battery light on the single wire. Does that sound plausible? If so how should I wire a replacement wire.

Thanks for your help,

Robin
Redbirdcrfw

Check gauges fuse no.4 10amp, charge indicator and the brown wire for an open/short

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_charge_7.jpg

Definitley a problem in the brown wire. Had voltage on it for a short time and then lost it again. I am having trouble tracing it. Is it possible to just rewire without tracing the hole thing out? I appreciate you help.

Robin

Redbirdcrfw