'01 CHEVY ABS PROBLEM

2001 Chevrolet Suburban

For a few weeks the brake dash lights ( both ABS & brake) have been coming on while driving above 5 mph. It was at first intermittant and unpredictable. Now it is constant. ABS won't work while these lights are on. My mechanic has gone through every step on the computer printout for this issue. The computer he plugs in to the car keeps coming up with " relay" as the problem. Does this mean I must replace the ABS Controller now? Do the ABS Controller and the ABS Motor both need to be replaced as one package($$$$$) even though they are two separate units? Or can I replace just the controller? PLEASE help!
Is this a common problem in this model?
(my vehicle has 81,000 miles on it). Why these components were placed underneath the car where they will get the most exposure to the elements is beyond me.
BabyDriver