INTERIOR LIGHTS WONT SHUT OFF

Chevrolet Silverado

I have a 1994 1500 series 4x4 v8 Chev Silverado with approx. 150000 miles on it.
The problem is, just recently the interior(dome& two floor) lights came on by themselves while I was driving. Since then, they wont shut off. The only way I can shut them off is by removing the courtsey fuse from the fuse box.
I've replaced the two door jam switches but, still have the same problem.
The interior lights will flicker from time to time and sometimes shut off briefly while driving but, stay on for the most part. My aftermarket radio/cd player runs off the same fuse as the lights but works fine even though the lights flicker or shut off briefly. I've had the radio/cd player in the truck for 5 years so, I don't think that's the problem.
The interior light dimmer switch seems to be working correctly. It allows me to either turn off the dash lights completely or put them to their brightest.
All other electrical works fine and I haven't had any electrical problems up until this time.
Any tips on how to possibly solve this problem would be appreciated.
Paul
Paul F

Hello !
Well. Looks like you have a " grounded" wire somewhere on the door jam switch wiring.

Follow the wires until you find the " bare" wire touching the frame.
(with a light tester you will find that the wire its grounded)
usually the wires get rub at the hinges pull the wires one by one until the light turn off.

Good Luck!

Fisherman
Fisherman: Thanks for the suggestion of the possible cause of the light problem.
I bought a test light yesterday and will put it to use tomorrow.
I'll post back once the problem is solved.
Hopefully it will get solved.

Hello !

Good Luck![/Quote: 15871c5c27]

Paul F
Hey Paul.

Sound good.
We will be here waiting for the results.

Good Luck!

Fisherman
Hello Fisherman
I tried the test light today on the wires that the door jam switches plug into and the result was, it appears that there is no power/current going through these wires.
The test light did not light up.
Thinking that maybe something was wrong with the test light, I tried it on the truck battery and it did light up.
When I was doing the test on the wires that the door jam switch plugs into, the fuse was in and the interior lights were on.
Do you have any other suggestions based on this information?
I'm also curious about a couple of things in your initial reply to my question.

Hello !

You mention the wires " get rub at the hinges" I'm not sure what you mean by this as there are no hinges around any of the wires I'm dealing with.
Also, if there is a bare wire touching part of the frame and that bare wire was a " live" wire, wouldn't that cause the fuse to blow?
I'm including an interior shot of my truck and maybe it will be of better help.
The hole in the side of the dash to the bottom left is where the door jam switch is usually located. And you can see part of the door jam switch hanging by the emergency brake foot pedal. It's hanging there only because I didn't put it back in place after attaching the new switch.
I've tried jiggling the wires under the dash and it didn't cause the lights to flicker or shut off.
Is it possible that the dome light switch itself is the cause of the problem even though it works the dash lights as it should?

Sound good.

Good Luck![/Quote]

Paul F
The picture didn't upload for whatever reason.
Hopefully it does this time!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/29658_Interior_2.jpg

Paul F
Hello Paul!!

sorry i didn`t told you the way you should test for a grounded wire..
well you have to atach the clip on a hot (+) source and with the other side check the wire that we suspect its grounded...

the courtesy lights are feed with (+) on one side all the time and as soon as you open the door the jam switch "get ground" and turn "on" the light....

the hinge i was talkin about didn`t apply for your vehicle because the switch its on the frame not in the door, ( I`m sorry for that )

anyhow I`m including an schematic on the courtesy lights for your truck the server reduce the size on the picture but if you give me your e-mail i will send you the original size..

now we have to find the problem wire...

which its not as hard as it looks...

check this out and let me know to continue!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_Silverado_1994_1.jpg

Fisherman
Hey Paul !

Something else: the suspect wire its the white wire (the black-one its ground (-) )

also. Did you checked the courtesy switch already?

Let me know!

Piece of cake!

(yeah sure I`m typing and you`re working! LOL)

good Luck!

Fisherman
Hello Again Fisherman
If I understand correctly your instructions on how to check for a grounded wire, this is what I did and these are the results.
Using vicegrips, I attached one end of a wire to the positive post of my truck battery and then, using the clip end of the test light, I attached that to the other end of the wire.
Then using the probe end of the test light, I tested each " terminal" end of the wires that the door jam switches plug into. For the driver side, the test light lit up when the probe touched the terminal for the white wire and lit up as well for the black wire. It did not light up when it touched the brown wire terminal. I assume the brown wire is the default ground wire? On the passenger side, there are only two wires, white and black, and the test light lit up testing both of those terminals.
I then took out the fuse for the interior lights, did the same test steps and got the same results as when the fuse was in. So, do these results indicate anything to you?
To me, it just indicates that when contact with the terminals was made, it showed the charge coming from the truck battery. I don't know if that's the case or not though.
As far as the dome/courtesy switch goes, no, I haven't checked that yet. At this point I don't want to buy something that may not be the cause of the problem and not be able to return it if it isn't.
I appreciate the schematic of the wiring you sent and i'll take you up on your offer of e-mailing me the full size version.
I'll send you my e-mail address via the private message option.
Thanks for the help so far.
Paul

Paul F