DIESEL ENGINE DIES WHILE DRIVING.

Chevrolet Silverado

God help me I’m afraid to drive my truck. No one can figure out what is wrong with it and I can’t afford to play an expensive game of guess the defective part. I’ve searched the net until my fingers are bloody and you are my last hope. I really need the answer by the end of the weekend so, if you hear me and know, please write back soon I have to pull my fifth wheel across country with this truck for work and I just can’t do it. The mere thought sends me into fits of shaking.

I own a 1996 Silverado 2500 turbo diesel, two-wheel drive automatic 225,000 miles. As much as I’ve come to fear driving it, I love it. I bought it used with all the money I had in my bank account so I could haul my fifth wheel to my new job after my nephew destroyed my last truck leaving me high and dry. I tell you that truck ran like a top all the way from the dealer in Houston back to San Antonio. I was ridin’ high. I took it to the diesel mechanic to have it checked out. He looked it over, checked the computer, said it showed no present faults and the history was clear. He thought I got lucky and blessed it.

A few days later I was driving it in to have the hitch installed when out of the blue it gave a slight hiccup. A few miles later the check engine light came on. The truck died going down a hill a few miles after that. God help me I thought I’d lost my brakes; I didn’t know what had happened. I got it to start again…went a mile died…waited 15 minutes…it finally started. Well, I thought it might be one of those older diesels that just didn’t like having less that half a tank of fuel, (that’s what the gauge read), so I bought some additive and filled her up (gauge was right).

The check engine light was still on so I stopped at an Auto Zone to have the computer read. It showed no present faults and the history was clean. We tried again…same thing… third time we got an error code.

Tried to change the fuel filter; it was filthy. The new filter was really hard to get on. On the third day it started to leak. The diesel mechanic charged $85.00 to replace it…his poured fuel out on the third day. The dealership put in another $85.00 fuel filter…verdict after market parts and, “yes ma’am now she should run just fine”.

I’ve ran three 1/2 tanks of fuel down trying to figure out what the common link is. The problem seems to occur more frequently in stop and go traffic and upon acceleration and deceleration. It doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. I’ve replaced the pump on the rail, and the gas cap. It usually will start after a few minutes, but then doesn’t want to run and keeps dieing.

A few other things: Sometimes the check engine light comes on. Usually after fueling and sometimes right before it dies and sometimes just for fun. It seems to happen more often after it is warm, so I only use it to drive short distances. Also it will be purring along beautifully at 65-70 and give a hiccup or a series of hiccups for no reason then keep running. I let some one else drive it and they said it actually died on them at that speed, but I suspect they are one of those drivers who feathers their accelerator pedal so that may be extraneous information. The air filter is good. No damage to exhaust system. No leaks…really great truck, other than this problem.

I do not think this is a problem with the fuel pump or injectors because it is not getting worse, if anything it is happening a little less

Well, I think I’ve beat this horse to death, and all of my friends who are mechanics, now cross the street when they see me coming, so please anyone…HELP!
Rose2933

Hello Rose!

I have a friend who has a Truck like yours and we have a Big problem trying to figure it out the solution
But.
After a lot of trouble we find out to be two problems.
One of them was the oil pressure switch (its controlling the pump) we replace that and the fuel solenoid (its square and small and its located on the fuel injection pump) locks like gets hot and quits working

Good luck!

Wait for more suggestions from the experts!

Fisherman
What codes did you get out of the PCM? If the check engine light is on, then there is a code to be pulled that may help in the diagnosis

Jack42
Even with the light still on, the computer indicated there was no problem and had never been one. I've had it read twice and both times it showed the same thing. I have no codes for you to work with. But, I'm still interested in any ideas you might have. I'm thinking of getting a used computer off a wrecked truck (if I can figure out were it is located) pulling mine, putting the other one on driving it waiting for the light to come on and seeing if I can get a code reading that way.

What do you think of that idea?

Do you think it could be the computer causing the problem? Would I need to reset the computer off the wreck before I could use it first?

Rose2933
If a scanner wont communicate, it could very well be the PCM. Used one might not need to have anything done to it to use it.

Jack42
Thanks for returning my posts. I took a drive over to my mechanic s shop today to ask him what he thought about getting that new (used) computer for the truck. I had to explain to him why I took it to another shop to be looked over when I first got it, which was embarrassing since I really like him and bring my cars there. But, I honestly thought that diesels needed diesel mechanics so I found a shop that specialized in trucks.

Anyway, he has a diesel mechanic (little did I know) and he asked me not to put the new (used) computer in until he has a shot at reading it. He asked what the two scanners looked like that were used on the car (you could hold them in the palm of your hand). He said those cost about $400.00. His scanner is much more sophisticated and will probably pick up something. His unit runs around $10,000.00. So on Monday a.M. I m going to swing by with my truck and see if he can get anything. If not, he thinks it could be a cam sensor or something else I didn t understand. I don t mind paying for a repair. I just don t want to pay for a bunch of wrong repairs before I get to the right one. I wish someone could tell me they knew for sure what was wrong with my truck.

My greatest fear is that the guy who my truck before me had the same problem and couldn t figure it out and that is why he traded it in. If he couldn t find the problem how will I? But, then again, the place to start was with the fuel filter and it hadn t been changed in at least a year by the looks of it.

What do you think?

Rose2933
Better test equipment never hurts. He might be able to watch all the sensors with his scanner to try to pinpoint the problem.

Jack42
His equipment was able to get some readings, but actually started to erase them as he was watching. He tried for most of a day to run tests to diagnosis the problem and was unsuccessful. His suggestion was that I drive the truck, keep breaking down, until it finally died completely so we could find the problem, because I was going to go broke looking for it and changing needless parts.

Personally I don t know if I can handle the fear. I would not feel right about trading this truck in and foisting this problem onto some other unsuspecting person. I am fresh out of funds so I couldn t afford a more expensive truck anyway. As they say in poker, when I bought the thing, I went all in and didn t count on expensive repairs.

Can you help?

Rose2933
If they couldnt find a problem with the truck in their shop, Im not too sure what I could help you with. See above post by " Fisherman", there is a couple things for you to look at.

Jack42
Sounds like good old injection pump failure. As for no trouble codes, that just doesnt sound right.

Dennyp
Im a Gm Master Tech. Most problems we incountered with the 6.5 is that the fuel injection pump usually the problem. Need to check for metal shavings in the fuel housing and clean it very well If there is any. If there is metal shavings most likly cause is injection pump. Also sometimes when driving it dies and you have to wait to start. Could be the black box on the side of the injection pump called injection pump module. There is a resitor inline to the terminals that needs to be swapped out. Really need to post the codes. Computer is behind the glove box. If not storing codes very well may be injection pump module.

Melo