96 STARTER

1996 Chevrolet Silverado

Just replaced the alternator on my 96 Silverado 5.7 liter. The alternator tested bad when I took it off and
had it tested. The battery checks out good. When trying to start I get a single click and it won't start. Problem has been intermittent but now it won't start even after sitting for a long time.
Most people now think I have a bad starter. How tough is it to change out the starter? Where is it located? This is a 4x4 Silverado. I am fairly handy with tools but wondering if this is a task that I shoult take on or bite the bullet and have it done by a pro.
Roncol56

Before changing out the starter, I would check at the starter solenoid to be sure you are getting a full 12 volts to the solenoid control terminals. You can do this with a volt-ohm meter or a 12 volt test light (purchase at auto parts house). First step is to find the starter. The solenoid is usually mounted on the starter and looks like a small cylinder shaped object. The solenoid usually has three wires, one big one (connects to the + side of the battery) and two small wires. You want to check the small wires (put your tester on the big wire to see what 12 volts does to the meter or light as a reference). Next have someone turn and hold the ignition switch to start (be sure vehicle is in neutral or park). Put the testor on one of the small wire terminals and then on the other. You are looking for a 12 volt indication on one of the terminals (the positive terminal of the solenoid if you can identify it). If you are getting 12 volts to the solenoid (small terminal) and you are not hearing a click, then you probably have a bad solenoid and should replace the whole starter assembly. If you are not getting 12 volts to the small terminal of the solenoid, then you probably have an intermittent ignition switch or starter relay.

Jimdelrie