CHEVY REAR BRAKE REPLACEMENT

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

Brakes problem
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66,000 miles

I had my rear brake rotors and pads replaced at a local garage on my 2003 Chevy Silverado.

About 200 miles later, this evening, a horrible clunking noise developed from the rear of the truck.
It appeared to be rotational in nature. I looked under the truck and found axle lubricant on the inside of the passenger inner rear wheel(it is a dually) as well as metal shavings. Also, there was a bit if smoke. My initial assessment is an axle bearing.

My question relates to the brake replacement that was performed about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure of what all is involved with the brake replacement. Is there any possibility that " something" could have been disturbed that contributed to the issue I currently have?

Thanks,
Ed
Mred2nice

Chances are the brake job had nothing to do with it. The smoke is from the hot drum getting covered with gear lube.

In the years where disc brakes were put on the rear, the e-brake was made up of a small inner drum that is mounted inside the area. It works just like the drum brakes of old, but served only as the e-brake. I've heard that sometimes during a 'regular' brake job the e-brake can be disturbed and you will hear something metal going around inside your wheel.

This is just an idea - it doesn't explain the axle lube inside your inner wheel, unless that is from some sort of collateral damage.

Do you use your e-brake? For these 4-wheel disc systems, it is better to use the e-brake to keep it functional.

Karattop