CHEVY FUEL LEAK?

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 98500 miles

do you think that the p0455 code could have something to do with the " sender/O-ring" if so how could I check them and while I have the fuel tank down is there any other sugestions to check on I have heard a lot about the vent solenoid? But that was just hear say, im no mechanic but I would much rather do the work myself do to money trouble, so if you could kind of talk me through what to check and how to do so. Thank you so much for your help and I will be leaving a nice donation when I get my money in my account this afternoon also forgot to mention that when I fill it up all the way fuel spills a little bit somewhere from either the tank or in that area. Also the code that it was giving me was p0455 evap system leak detected (large leak) when I had it sitting in the shop it didnt not leak a drop of fuel its kinda wierd thanks for the help, janson
Jansonp

The sender O ring wont have much to do with it, p0455 is evap large leak detected, if it was an O ring it would cause more of a small leak. Most common problem is the vent solenoid, they have an updated kit to relocate the hoses from the vent solenoid with a filter to keep dust out of the solenoid. You need a tech 2 to test the vent solenoid. Trying to diagnose evap codes without a tech 2 and an evap cart(smoke machine) is to hard to do. As far as the fuel spill, is it hard to fill the tank?Or it just spills after the tank is full?

Brian 1
Everything seems normal except when filling the tank and when it gets full it spills a little bit of fuel but this evening I took the pickup out for a cruise and when I got on it for a little bit I pulled over to look at something and smelt gasoline I looked at the tank and noticed fuel leaking farely bad I took it straight to the garage and parked it didnt leak any more but I could tell where it came from and it looks to be around the lines on top of the tank on the front of it. It doesnt leak any other times though thanks, janson

Jansonp
Everything feels normal the tank fills up like it always does and when it gets full it spills a little bit. It doesnt leak any gas while parked or driving normal (that I have noticed) but when im on it a lot it leaks fuel from what appears to be the lines right on the top of the front part of the tank. Would you recommend me just taking it in to get diagnosed or is there anything I can do I dont have much for money but it needs to get fixed. Thanks for the advise, janson

Jansonp
I would also check the canister, they fill with gas which causes a hard fill or excessive fuel leak.

Brian 1
So your thinking the vent solenoid and or the canister. I plan on taking the box off this weekend and try to accomplish something lol. My question is how would I go about testing the solenoid and canister and what would I need to do so. I am not a mechanic or anything (if you could try to dumb it down so I can understand haha) also do you think that could be the reason it leaks fuel when I get on it a lot? Thanks so much brian and if you could please try to give me a play by play on how to check everything, your a life saver : )

Jansonp
Its not really that hard,you dont have to remove the bed to check or replace the vent solenoid or canister,for the canister just pull the plastic lines off and see if gas pours out,if it does then replace the canister,if they get filled with gas from overfilling the tank,the gas tank get vapor locked causing a slow or no fill condition,as far as the vent solenoid there is no real way to test it,you need a scan tool to command it off/on to see if it clicks,if it dosent they it need to be replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/147643_canister_2.jpg

this is the canister

Brian 1
I will give it a try and if it does need replaced what would it be called I tried to look up " fuel canister" and didn't have much luck do you have any ideas or about how much it would run. Thanks, janson

Jansonp
Evaporative Emission Control Canister, its about $210.00.

Brian 1
Ok we found the fuel issue it was an o ring where the fuel pump sits in the tank they must have forgot it when it was replaced. So I got that figured out. The pickup idles good now but it randomly starts funny it kinda stuters when it turns over and cranks for a second or two I cleaned the o2 sensor and tried some stp fuel injector cleaner it idles much better now but still starts weird once in a while. Thanks janson

Jansonp
Hi jansonp, were glad you got most of your issues settled with your truck. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

2CarPros Linsey