CHEVY TRUCK WILL NOT START

2002 Chevrolet Silverado

2002 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Two weeks ago, my wife went to crank my truck to take my son to school, and it would not start. When I got home later that day, it started right up. About 3 days later, she drove the truck up to the school, walked our son in, but when she got in the truck to leave, it would not start again. Once again when I got to the truck a few hours later, I turned the key several times and it finally started.I noticed the " service engine soon light" came on briefly, then went off. After a week if driving to and from work, I went to warm my truck up two mornings ago and it started fine. I turned it off long enough to grab something out of my wifes car before leaving, but when I got back into my truck it would not start and has been dead since then. The radio, a/c, lights, and " dinging" noise all work when you turn the key on. But when you try to start, there is nothing. No clicking, no trying to turn over, just dead, but power is fine everywhere. Also, when the key is in the turned to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump making a kind of vacuum pumping noise like it is pumping fuel. That last a few seconds and thats is. Please let me know if any other info. Is needed as any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time. Jason
JRCrazyX2

Clicking? Or nothing at all? If you hear a click, then either the battery is weak, or the starter, possibly bad battery cable connections, check and clean both ends of BOTH cables! Dissconnect negative(-) first, and put it on last! If no click the starter relay is no good! Other possibility is the theft system, what does the little dash light do with the key in the on possition? If it goes out, it OK. Starter relay is in the underhood fuse block. Your owners manual will show which one it is! Try swapping two of your relays.

Merlin2021
I checked the security light, and it did go off, so should be fine. However, there is NO clicking, so I pulled the relay like you said. I'm not sure how to tell if it is bad, but there is noticeable discoloration on one of the prongs in comparison to the other relays right next to it. I guess I will replace that and see what happens. Thanks so much for the quick response.

JRCrazyX2