CHEVY MULTIPLE SYMPTOMS - ENGINE PERFORMANCE

2001 Chevrolet Silverado

2001 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

background: car runs great, when it feels like it.

have multiple IPC issues w/ various CEL messages & faulty gas guage. Gas gauge was on the funk for a while - just dealt w/ it using my trip odometer. Now, I have delays in my ipc - shifting from park to drive, the gear indicator lights will vanish. Temporarily. This too was just annoying.

now, I get faulty oil pressure warning w/ immediate car shut off - while driving sometimes. Oil pressure gauge never indicates low/no pressure prior.

have a base model; no frills (only A/c & cruise).

only mention since one of the CEL warnings is prefaced w/ " security" message prior to engine cut out at 65 MPH. There is no security system on the truck.

engine cuts out & will not start again (until I try to start repeatedly, reset the engine oil change timer, or wait a while)

happening much more frequently nowadays.
Jerseyclaw

There is what they call a Passlock system in your truck. It is a factory security feature NOT a security system. All of your symptoms point to a failing Passlock module or an ignition switch. There is an internal resistor in the ignition switch that sends a signal to the Passlock (security) module. If this resistor fails or is failing your engine will not start. Your oil pressure switch (electrical) circut is directly related to the Passlock system. If you do the following you can disable the Passlock system temporarily (to get the engine started).
Turn the key on but DO NOT start the engine. Wait 6 to 9 minutes. Then turn the key off for 10 seconds. Then turn the key and start the engine. Unfortunatly the Passlock system must be serviced at the Chevy Dealer.

Pear69