2001 Chevrolet Silverado

Computer problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 127, 00 miles

I have a 2001 Silverado with 5.3 V-8 and automatic transmission. When I let the vehicle idle for approximately 2 minutes with the transmission in the Park position, the gas gauge pegs at " Empty" and the low fuel light comes on in the dash. However, when I put the transmission in any gear other than Park the gas gauge functions accurately at all RPM ranges, even at extended idle and the " Low Fuel" Light goes off. Any Ideas what might be causing this?

THis is a good one. Without being there the only thing I can think of is the body control module (BCM). The float in the tank sends a signal to the BCM which then sends the signal to the gauge. I would have that checked.

I have a 2000 3/4 ton with the 6.0 where I ran into the same problem from the day I bought it. At times, when I stepped on the brake pedal, the gas guage would go to " E" and say low fuel even when it was full. In fact, the guage would always do it when the tank was above 3/4's full or below 1/4 tank. Several other chevy owner's I talked with said that they had similar problems with the fuel guage reading correctly. The problem came from the the rheostat (variable resistor) on the fuel pump/sending unit's float arm (basically the fuel pump assembly). I replaced the sending unit assembly and it cured the problem (2 years without a problem now).

From people I talk to, they said that the OEM sending unit in the truck was bad from the factory and those model years saw this problem commonly occur.

I had this same problem with my 01. Weird as it sounds it was the ignition switch which has a lbig wiring harness that controls a lot on the dash.