CHEVY U-JOINT PROBLEM?

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Noises problem
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Just recently I have noticed a squeaking coming from the back of my truck when I drive. It started out intermittently but now it’s becoming more frequently. Its only is noticeable when I’m on the throttle, and it doesn’t matter if I’m going 5 mph or 55 mph the noise will just increase and continue with speed, my assumption is that it’s the bearing in my u-joints and that they either need greased or replaced. Do you have any ideas?
Schargedbmw

I think you hit the nail on the head! GM uses epoxy tio hold em together, use a torch and heat until the glue oozes out of the small hole, you'll see it, then replace as normal.

Merlin2021
I have never heated a joint to loosen the injection molded plastic that holds a joint in. You will shear the substance as you use a press to remove the joint.

The Factory Man
Not all people have a press, and I have done a ton of em this way. No problems arise!

Merlin2021
How do you replace the joint without a press or vise?
Inquiring minds want to know!

The Factory Man
Have you ever heard of eithe a vise, or hammer and socket? Don't need a big shop for small jobs. Oh by the way, this isn't mechanics 101!

Merlin2021
Or use a ball joint press without adapters, Fixed a dump truck with that once, broke down in my driveway!

Merlin2021
Ok so I finnaly got around to replacing my u-joints I had to take it to my friends shop where we used a torch to soften up the epoxy to I could pop them out. And I found that it was easiest to use a press because a vice could not generate enough force to pop them out.

But the only thing is now that I replaced the u-joints it still making a ticking niose that I previously thought was coming from the worn out u-joints, when I put my truck up in the air and put it un neutral and spin the driveshaft by hand I can hear the ticking, but the noise is coming directly from the drive shaft, which doesnt make any sense. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Schargedbmw
Do you have a split drive shaft with a center bearing bolted to the truck? Any problem in the shaft can be transmittied along the length of it. Check all u joints and center bearings, one is no good.

Merlin2021
No my truck is a single cab so its a one piece driveshaft, and I replaced both u-joints while I was at it.

My next guess would it be my diff? Maybe like you said. The driveshaft is transmitting the noise coming from my diff. I did have an aftermarket LSD put in the tuck about 4 years ago and havent changed the fluid in it since. And on the cover there are slight signs of a fluid escaping but nothing that looks alarming. But maybe that would be my next best place to look.

Whats your opinion?

And thanks for all of your input

Schargedbmw
And if it were it be my diff is low on fluid how easy it is to replace the fulid myself. Or would it just be in my best interest to take it to a shop. And finnaly what would something like that cost?

Schargedbmw