CHEVY TRUCK OVERHEATS WITH A/C ON IN CITY DR

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

My K-1500 pickup truck is running hot with the A/C on in stop and go (city) driving. The engine temperature runs around 225 F without the A/C on. It will maintain that temperature in all outside air conditions during highway and city driving, but if the A/C is turned on during city driving conditions the temp steadily rises to the 250-260 F range. On the highway with the A/C on the temp only increases to around 235-240 F and will hold close to that temperature.

On one occasion with the engine running hot the transmission had difficulty shifting into higher gears but when it cooled the transmission worked fine. This symptom has not occurred again.

We have changed oil weight to 20W-50, drianed and flushed the radiator and installed a manual temperature guage. The problem still persists. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Roy1964

Hello, did you check for coolant flow through the radiator? Possibilities, water pump--thermostat--blockage somewhere, including the radiator. Another possibility might be a problem with the fan. I'm not saying replace anything, check them.