CHEVY HEADLIGHT LOWBEAM NOT WORKING

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 281, 00 miles

the dlr lights work, highbeams work, parking lights work, the bulbs used for dlr or the same as for low beam headlight, the dlr lights work but when switch is turned to headlights for night, nothing but high beams work. All rear lights and etc. Work. My question is " is this a dimmer switch problem (high beam to low beam) or the switch module on the Instrument panel? I have repaired the dimmer switch before on the steering column of my 1991 but I do not believe the 97 has such a switch because I cannot find it on the truck or in GM shop manual. Is it possible that the Multi-function switch on the left column(cruise, wiper, turn signal and dimmer for headlight) has the dimming function incorporated into MF switch. How can I determine which is causing the problem other that replacing the module that contains the light switch and dimmer for the I/P and dome light or the MF switch on the column and hope I make the right choice. Thanks
Jrpearce