CHEVY 4WHEEL DRIVE

1995 Chevrolet Silverado

1995 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello, I own a 95 silverado and recently came to find out that my 4 wheel drive is not working, not only did the light not get lit but there wasn't any pull from the front wheels at all, I have a Haynes/Chiltons repair manual for it but it doesn't troubleshoot or explain the 4 wheel drive in it, I'd thought that it was controlled by vacume pressure but I really don't know.I've had 4 wheel drive in the past but not now. Any help?Thanks.
M.Proudfoot

There is a electric actuator in the front differential that needs 12v when 4wd is activated. If it has power then the actuator is bad. They are very common for failing

Mastertechtim
Hello again, I replaced the thermal 4x4 acuator with an upgraded electrical 1 but it says to splice this brown wire from the new acuator into a brown wire on the 4 plug wire of the trans case, there is no brown wire and I believe it may be the black and grey wire, any suggestions?I need my 4x4 working again and from what I gather the factory acuators go bad frequently so thats why I upgraded, now it needs to be completed. Thanks.

M.Proudfoot