CHEVY STEERING COLUMN???

1991 Chevrolet Silverado

Steering problem
1991 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

On two different occasions my truck has not shifted back past nuetral. The shifter seems loose and hits the key while in the ignition. After much fooling around with it I have been able to get it to cooperate. Yesterday however it wouldn't budge, I could get it back into drive, you can feel it shifting so it is not the transmision. The key would not turn off while the truck was in any gear. Last summer I had to pull the steering wheal off because the back up lights would only come on when in between nuetral and reverse, I lined everything back up. It has since slipped bak to where it was. In order to have back up lights I have to tap the shifter upwards to get them to come on. I dont know if that issue is even relevent. Before aquiring the truck the previous owner put in a new engine and a rebuilt transmission. The wiring is a mess under the dash, occasionally I dont have wipers even though you can hear the motor going, sometimes they operate fine and other times they switch through all of the speeds without you toughing the swich and you cant turn them off you have to just wait for them to turn off. Again dont know if it is relevent but since it is all located in the steering column I figured it may be worth mentioning. I really dont want to have to replace the steering column I had someone suggest the ignition switch, but what about the shifter hitting the keys?
Santos_gallegos