WHITE SMOKE

Chevrolet S-10

I have a 1991 chevy s10. Its manual transmission. Blows white smoke and uses alot of water. The engine runs quiet. Smells like there is gas in the oil. When I pull the dip stick out you can smell it. Can you help me? What could it be and what can I do? Thanks.
Dunn_212003

White smoke plus uses too much water/coolant is a sign of blown headgasket or could also be a crack head or block.

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.