STEERING RATTLE

Chevrolet S-10

I have had my 2003 Chevy S10 pickup for a few months now but I have a god AWFUL RATTLE IN THE STEERING COLUMN or the steering wheel itself. Noticeable at 30mph and seems extremely violent from 50-60mph. Here's the kicker. When you turn the wheel because there is say a curve in the road the rattle disappears, but as soon as the the wheel is straigtened out again it's there big time. Any others have experience like this and any clue what might be causing it. Thanks much.
Starlightcoast

Get a look at the intermediate steering shaft. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth and see if you can pick up where thae play is. One spot to check is at the intermideate steering shaft at the base of the steering column in the engine compartment. There is a little u-joint in there, that may show the play. You may need to hold the shaft at different spots while the gentle rocking is being done.