CHEVY S10 4.3L EASY COLD STARTS, DIFFICULT WARM S

1999 Chevrolet S-10

1999 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

I've noticed recently that the truck always starts up immediately if the truck has been sitting a while and is cold, especially over night. If the truck is shut off and restarted a few minutes later it starts just as quickly, however if it sits for longer than that it can take 5-7 seconds to restart. I have a new coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter. Its been quite a mystery, i've had no trouble codes so i'm not sure where to go with this.
Coasty

5-7 seconds seems unreasonable? You may spend a small fortune to fix it. Most of the time it; s between the cluster(instrument panel) and the harness(wiring) and the security module, and will take some time to diagnose, or as simple as a 20.00 dollar ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor.

Merlin2021
Well, I may be a little conservative with the 5-7 second estimate. But stare at your watch for 7 seconds and you can see that the engine is turning for longer than normal. What concerns me is it seems as though the time it takes to start warm is increasing ever so slightly as the months tick by. Plus, there's that embarrassment of the truck not starting up right away, or even taking several attempts to crank. Maybe its just injured pride because people know I take pride in the care and maintenance of my vehicle. But, I understand that there are only a few clues that i'm providing here.

Coasty
First thing to check is that ECT I mentioned, when cold resistance across the sensor should be 10,000 ohms or more, warmed up it should be 177 ohms at 194 degrees, check that and get back to me.

Merlin2021
This may be a stupid question, but if the temperature gauge is indicating inside the truck does that mean that the ECT sensor is good? Is it possible for the ECT sensor to be bad if its still indicating a correct temp on the instrument cluster? I tried to do the resistance test and I was getting open circuit when the engine was warm and cold, however like I said the temp gauge is still functioning normally. This doesn't make sense to me. Its pretty tight in there, maybe its possible I didn't get the probes positioned properly on the two pins?

Coasty
The gauge is operated by the temp sender, not the ECT.

Merlin2021
Forgive my ignorance, but where is the ECT on a 1999 S10?

Coasty
If I recall correctly, it's on the driver's side on the side of the cylinder head.

Merlin2021
Right, that is the one that I tested, and also sends input to the gauge. I think it might be combined for this year of the S10.

Coasty
I show the gauge sender on top rear of the engine.
The other possibilty is the fuel pressure regulator or an injector may be leaking...test fuel pressure and leak down.
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm
Go here and checkout our video.
You can rent the test gauge at Autozone.
Or buy it here.
http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/merlin2021_1
4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L & 7.4L 1. Perform On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system check. See ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC (OBD) SYSTEM CHECK in appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article. After performing OBD system check, go to next step. 2. Turn ignition off. Relieve fuel pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF . Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge (J-34730-1A) to fuel pressure test port. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Bleed air out of fuel pressure gauge into container. Monitor fuel pressure with fuel pump running. Fuel pressure should be 60-66 psi (4.2-4.6 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system and 56-62 psi (4.0-4.4 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If fuel pressure is as specified, go to next step. If fuel pressure is not as specified, go to step 8 . 3. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds. Observe fuel pressure after fuel pump stops running. After fuel pump stops, fuel pressure should stabilize and remain constant at 55-60 psi (3.9-4.2 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system and 48-52 psi (3.4-3.7 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If pressure is within specification and holds, go to step 5 . If pressure is not as specified, go to next step. 4. Relieve fuel pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF . Disconnect fuel filter. Drain any remaining fuel from fuel pipes into container. Install appropriate fuel line shutoff valve in place of fuel filter. Open shutoff valve. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Check for leaks at shutoff valve. Start engine and idle for 30 seconds. Turn ignition off for 10 seconds. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Wait for fuel pressure to build. Close shutoff valve. Fuel pressure should remain constant at 55-60 psi (3.9-4.2 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system and 48-52 psi (3.4-3.7 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If pressure is as specified and holds, go to step 12 . If pressure is not as specified, go to step 6 . 5. If fuel pressure is suspected of decreasing during acceleration, cruise or hard cornering, go to step 27 . If fuel pressure is not suspected of decreasing during acceleration, cruise or hard corning, go to step 26 . 6. Check fuel feed line between shutoff valve and fuel pipes. If fuel feed line is faulty, go to step 25 . If fuel feed line is okay, go to next step. 7. Open shutoff valve. Relieve fuel pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF . Disconnect fuel return pipe union located near fuel filter. Drain remaining fuel from fuel pipes into container. Install appropriate fuel line shutoff valve in place of fuel return pipe union. Open shutoff valve. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Check for leaks at fuel shutoff valve fittings. Start engine and idle for 30 seconds. Turn ignition off for 10 seconds. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Wait for fuel pressure to build. Close shutoff valve installed on fuel return pipe. If fuel pressure remains constant, go to step 22 . If fuel pressure does not remain constant, go to step 29 . 8. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds, and then turn off. Observe fuel pressure after fuel pump stops running. If fuel pressure is present, go to step 13 . If fuel pressure is not present, go to next step. 9. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Listen for operation of fuel pump. If fuel pump operates, go to next step. If fuel pump does not operate, see appropriate FUEL SYSTEM ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT under NO START DIAGNOSIS . 10. Check for restricted fuel filter, fuel pump strainer or fuel line. If a problem is found, go to next step. If no problem is found, go to step 12 . 11. Repair or replace as necessary. After repairs, go to step 30 . 12. Replace fuel sending unit assembly. After repairs, go to step 30 . 13. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds. Observe fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is greater than 66 psi (4.6 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system or greater than 62 psi (4.4 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system, go to next step. If fuel pressure is not as specified, go to step 15 . 14. Relieve fuel pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF . Disconnect engine compartment fuel return line. Attach a flexible hose to fuel return line. Place other end of hose in container. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on and observe fuel pressure within 2 seconds. Fuel pressure should be 60-66 psi (4.2-4.6 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system and 56-62 psi (4.0-4.4 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If fuel pressure is as specified, go to step 16 . If fuel pressure is not as specified, go to step 17 . 15. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds. Observe fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is less than 60 psi (4.2 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system or less than 56 psi (4.0 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system, go to step 19 . If fuel pressure is not as specified, go to step 30 . 16. Locate and repair restriction in fuel return line. After repairs, go to step 30 . If fuel return line is not restricted, go to next step. 17. Check for restriction in engine fuel return outlet pipe at point where fuel line was disconnected. If fuel return pipe is restricted, go to next step. If fuel return pipe is not restricted, go to step 22 . 18. Replace engine fuel pipes. After repairs, go to step 30 . 19. Inspect in-line fuel filter and fuel line for restriction. If restriction is found, go to next step. If restriction is not found, go to step 21 . 20. Repair or replace in-line fuel filter and fuel line as necessary. After repairs, go to step 30 . 21. Relieve fuel pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF . Disconnect fuel return pipe union located near fuel filter. Drain remaining fuel from fuel pipes into container. Install appropriate fuel line shutoff valve in place of fuel return pipe union. Open shutoff valve. Using scan tool, command fuel pump on. Bleed air out of fuel pressure gauge into container. DO NOT allow fuel pressure to exceed 75 psi (4.5 kg/cm 2 ). Excess pressure may damage fuel pressure regulator. Slowly close shutoff valve installed on fuel return pipe. Fuel pressure should increase to greater than 66 psi (4.6 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system or 62 psi (4.4 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If fuel pressure increases as specified, go to next step. If fuel pressure does not increase as specified, go to step 23 . 22. Replace fuel pressure regulator. After repairs, go to step 30 . 23. Check for the following conditions:  Low fuel pump voltage due to high resistance connections.  High fuel pump voltage due to internal pump binding.  Poor fuel pump ground.  Partially restricted fuel pump strainer.  Incorrect or faulty fuel pump. If any of the listed conditions are present, go to next step. If none of the listed conditions are present, go to step 12 . 24. Repair or replace as necessary. After repairs, go to step 30 . 25. Replace fuel feed line. After repairs, go to step 30 . 26. Start engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Open throttle quickly. Observe fuel pressure. Fuel pressure should increase to near 66 psi (4.6 kg/cm 2 ) on CSI system or 62 psi (4.4 kg/cm 2 ) on SFI system. If fuel pressure increases quickly, see appropriate TROUBLE SHOOTING - NO CODES article. If fuel pressure does not increase quickly, go to next step. 27. Check for the following conditions:  In-line fuel filter for restriction.  Fuel feed pipe for restriction.  Mispositioned or damaged fuel pump strainer.  Fuel pump flex pipe for leaks.  Vehicle is equipped with correct fuel pump.  Fuel pump electrical wiring for high resistance. If any of the listed conditions are present, go to next step. If none of the listed conditions are present, go to step 12 . 28. Repair or replace as necessary. After repairs, go to step 30 . 29. Locate and replace any leaking injector(s). After repairs, go to next step. If all injectors are okay, go to FUEL INJECTOR BALANCE TEST under FUEL SYSTEM in appropriate SYSTEM & COMPONENT TESTING article. 30. Using scan tool, select CAPTURE INFO, REVIEW INFO function. If additional DTCs are present, diagnose DTCs. See appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article. If DTCs are not present, system is okay.

Merlin2021
I'm going to go ahead and do that fuel pressure test next weekend probably. But just as a little experiment, when I pulled the plug on that temp sensor on the left rear (driver's) side of the engine, the temp gauge inside the truck fell off to full cold. And when I plugged it back in, it started indicating again. I don't see another temp sensor on the engine. I think that 1999 and up s10 temp sensor/senders may be integrated somehow.

Coasty
Page 1 of 3