CHEVY VOLTAGE GAUGE ISSUES

1996 Chevrolet S-10

1996 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 250000 miles

The voltage gauge on the dash reads between 12-13 after driving with the radio/AC on. Even with these off, the voltage gauge still reads 13.

I purchased a new battery even though the guy's at AutoZone said the battery and alternator tested fine.

When I installed the new battery, I noticed that there was a black wire not attached to anything and just hanging where the battery cable wires/fuse attache to the battery.

Could this be the problem? Do I need a new voltage regulator? If I continue to use my truck with this funky voltage readings, am I doing damage to the new battery/engine.

Thanks.
Bosoxfanva

If that small wire not attached to anything is on the negative cable, ground it to the fender. Use a voltmeter hooed up to the battery and take the readings the same as you did for the dash gauge. If the readings are 13.8 with the engine running, your dash gauge is just inacurate. If lights arent dimming, it may be nothing to worry about!

Merlin2021