CHEVY HEAD GASKET...?

1991 Chevrolet S-10

1991 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

my 91 s-10 sat for the winter it may or may not have had the appropriate amount of antifreeze but I went to get it running today fired right up and ran it for a little bit brought it to the gas station and noticed a smell of burning oil popped the hood and it was smoking from where appeared to be leaking from the valve cover I also noticed a little more noise than usual from the engine/exhaust and low antifreeze I took it home took off the valve cover and no tears in that gasket so my question is if the block is cracked due to a freeze up this winter would it still run and hows a good way to tell im guessing compession check and could a simple do is yourself guy like me I have done oil changes water pumps alternators starters small engine carburator rebuilds get to the head gasket? Any help would be apretiated thanks
Miniskifast

A compression test is the best way to tell if its a headgasket.

They also sell php paper that you can put in it that will change colors if it detects combustion gases.

You should be able to change a head gasket just fine.

Blackop555