TRACKER COOLING SYSTEM

Chevrolet Other

I have a 2002 Chevy Tracker. 60,000 miles, 4 wheel drive. V6 2.0 engine. Automatic. And my question is about a month ago, my water pump basically blew up, so I replaced the pump and the seal, and the serpentine belt, and its run fine since then. Well about 3 days ago, I had been driving and my temp. Was up on my car and I pulled into my driveway and as soon as I put it in park all my antifreeze leaked out. I didn't drive it for a day, let it cool, refilled the anti-freeze and it appeared to be fine. Then today I was driving to work and in my 10 minute drive to work, it almost overheated. It got into the red on my temp. Gauge. The fluids are not leaking, however, there was a gurgling sound coming from the engine when I checked it this morning when I got to work. Could this be a bad head gasket, or something bad in my cooling system? Thanks for your help!
NinaW

Did replace the thermstat? Do that and refill with water then pressure test the system, if there are any leaks to be found, this will find em, if it's ok drain and refill with 50% mixture!

Merlin2021
Ms

When an engine overheats the 1st thing that gets replaced is the thermostat and if funding is available get a radiator cap. These are cheap fixes than an engine replacement.

Also when coolant is drained-the cooling system has to be bleed/purge to remove the air in it.

Change the Stat and bleed it and comeback when it continues.

Good Luck and thanks for the donation

Ok. I'm going to replace the stat in it and see if that helps. Am I ok to drive it home from work today without doing anything to it?

NinaW
Just keep an eye on that temperature gauge if it starts acting put on the heater to high see whether it will lower it -if not pull over and check

This should be my last question. And thanks so much for all your help! Where is the thermostat on a 2002 Chevy Tracker? I'm guessing by my own investigation that its in the lower radiator hose, where it meets the body of the water pump. But I wanna be sure.

NinaW
Follow the upper hose to the engine, make sure the spring of the thermostat faces the engine.

Good Luck and comeback for other problems- TYVM.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_icon77_1.gif

Thanks for all your help guys! We replaced the thermostat and that didn't work so we ended up taking it to a body shop and as it turns out it needs a new fan clutch and ect sensor. $700.00! But at least it'll be fixed I guess. And I have a great mechanic!

NinaW