ENGINE WHIRRING NOISE

Chevrolet Other

I just recently bought (as in a few days ago) a '98 Chevrolet Cavalier LS, and it has about 112k miles on it. Its engine specs are 115-hp, 2.2-liter I-4.

I just put new tires on it last night, and noticed after driving away that there was a new sound in the engine. It was a kind of whirring noise, kind of like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. It's really noticeable when idling or at low speeds, but I believe is always present, just not audible at higher speeds.

Any idea what this is coming from? I'm not sure getting new tires had anything to do with it, but that's when I noticed it.
Supervixen024

IF it happens at idle, can you open the hood and get a closer listen and maybe narrow it down to a general area?

I've done so, and I really can't. I have about zero experience with cars.

As far as I can tell, it's coming from the passenger side of the engine, so I thought it might be a belt issue (it looks a little worn, but not cracked), but then I also heard that if my car needs an oil change (which it does and is on my to do list for this week), it can make a similar noise.

Supervixen024
Can you get hold of the previous owner and ask them about any possible issue?

What is the oil level at?

Don't know the previous owner, got it from a dealership.

The oil level. Damn, knew I'd meant to check something when I got back from the grocery store. Well, two handfuls of grocery bags and new snow will make you forget stuff like staying outside in freezing temperatures to check your oil.

I'll get back to you soon about that, prolly tomorrow morning. In the meantime, any thoughts on what it might be?

To clarify the noise, it almost sounds like rolling your R's with your tongue (my boyfriend calls it a very fast ticking, but I disagree). So I guess a metallic vibration of sorts. Dunno.

Supervixen024
At this point it sounds like low oil making a lifter noise or maybe a belt tensioner sticking.

As a note, ticking does not mean it is due for an oil change, it means the level has not been checked and adjusted. Kinda like saying my teeth are rotting, it's time to brush them.

Okay, update.

I got an oil change, they checked the oil level and all, and it's still there, persistent as ever. In fact, I'd say it's worse, since it's been a little warmer recently. It's more audible.

It's definitely coming from the vicinity of the (what I believe is) serpentine belt, the lower left hand side of the engine. The belt looks a little worn, and has a discoloration that you can see as it zips by.

The mechanic did a visual inspection when he changed my oil (although I'd trust that about as far as I could throw him), and said that all my belts were in good order. But. Yeah.

Supervixen024
Oh, and the mechanic called it a " ticking" noise. So, I guess the men overrule me.

Supervixen024
HAH take that you supervixen! : Lol: At this point let's focus on tht serp belt wera spot. See if you can bump the starter without starting it to get it to the " bad" spot. Take a pic and post it.

The BF should know the " bumping starter jargon" So after you set the groceries down and put on the tangerine lipstick and aswer the door, we'll see what you found : lol: You know I'm not serious I hope! But if you put on the tangerine lipstick, what the hell, post that too!

Hey, I only use Burt's Bees chapstick. And only because it's winter and my face is dry.

But I shall try that indeed.

Do you know about how much it would cost to fix a serpentine belt, if that is the problem? My finances are looking pretty bleak right now, so I'm hoping it's not too much.

Supervixen024
I don't know if that's the problem. What do you think the odds of coercing the BF into doing it?

I don't know thats the problem yet.
Need to check the belt like I said. Take a pic and post it.

Page 1 of 2