Mechanics

ELECTRICAL

Chevrolet Other

1990 Chevy 1500 pickup 137000 miles. Im having some electrical problems. The electrical gauge dips in unison with the blinkers and at night it wavers when I turn the headlights on. I checked the fuse after driving a few miles and it was extremely hot, burning my finger. I got a few " clicks" when I tried starting the other day and now the battery is now dead. I replaced my battery a few months ago. Also, after having changed the battery, my right speaker, which crackled and hissed previously, began working. It has since degraded into crackling again. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Avatar
Trip3commy
July 7, 2006.




First off, which fuses are getting too hot to touch? That does not sound good, and needs to be corrected before your truck is a burned out shell on the side of the road.
Your problem sounds like one of two things. Either your charging system is not working properly, or is insuffient to run all of the things on your truck.
I know we love to add things to our trucks and make them personal, but let me ask u this. Have you added things like speakers, subwoofers, lights, ect?
Your charging system is designed to operate all things that came factory standard, and still charge your battery in normal driving conditions. If we add items that use some of the power, there may not be enuff juice left to keep your battery charged.
More than likely you either have a charging problem, (take ur vehicle to advanced, or napa and have them check your charging system). Or, you have something that is shrted and drawing too much current, or a continous current while the switch is off.
Check your battery voltage with the terminals off, and then rehook them and see if the volts are the same with the ignition switch off and all lights off. If you have something drawing current, you will have to use the wiring diagrams and figure out what it is and correct the problem.
Hopefully it will be something as simple as a altenator, or a bad ground.
Always check your ground cable that runs from your battery to the engine block. These corrode and cause a ton of problems.

Tiny
Mikeybdman
Jul 7, 2006.
First of all, the fuse that was hot was the big metal one that says battery. Secondly, everything is factory, no add-ons.

Tiny
Trip3commy
Jul 9, 2006.
Sounds like your altenator is not keeping your battery charged. I would charge the battery and then have napa or advance check the charging system for a bad altenator. Also make sure you check the ground cable from the battery to the engine block.
Good luck, and let us know what it was.
AD

Tiny
Mikeybdman
Jul 9, 2006.
Turns out it was a short in the passenger door wiring that fried my battery etc

thanks for the help

Tiny
Trip3commy
Aug 30, 2006.

AD