MODELS CAN'T OPEN DOOR

1998 Chevrolet Other

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1998 Other Chevrolet Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 152 miles

I'm having a problem with a 1998 Chevy Prizm. There is some sort of hardware issue causing the front passenger door to not be openable. The lock simply will not pull up. It is possible to forcibly pull it up some, but it won't unlock the door, and retracts back down when let go.

The first symptom was that the door handle would open the door, but wouldn't retract back into the plastic molding on the door without pressing it in. Eventually, it wouldn't go back in at all and is now cocked out at about a 30 degree angle.

This is about when the lock became stuck in the dowm position. I've tried various combinations of window up/down, turning key in the lock while manually pulling up the lock, trying the inside handle and lock simultaneously, forcing the inside handle in while trying to unlock, etc.

I'm hoping someone can provide a tip or trick that I can use to at least get it open. Any ideas will be greatly appreciates.
DouglasB

You will have to remove interior door panel and inspect lock rods and power lock solenoid (if equipped).

Mmprince4000