CHEVY TRANSMISSION

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

The transmission hangs in first gear and the rpms go really high. You have to let off the gas completely and let the car idle along and it will change into second gear within 30 seconds or so. The problem seems to be worse when the car has been parked overnight. Once it has been driven for a few miles the problem usually does not happen again until you park it and get back in. All other gears change out smoothly. Please help !

Check ATF fluid and adjust as needed
have you done a tranny tune up
that may help too

BMRFIXIT
If it slips that bad, you have probably already burnt the clutch packs in the trans.

Dennyp
I have an 2000 Monte Carlo SS. My car is at Aamcoright now and they have thrown everything at this issue. I had my Transmission rebuilt 2 weeks ago and continued to notice a shuttering when leaving from a complete stop, the car would shake and rattle and then would shift into 2nd gear and drive normal. They are now looking at the torque converter. They are saying that when the car sits over a few hours and or overnight the fluid is draining from the torque converter. They are putting a trap or check valve to keep the fluid from draining out of the torque converter. I have been dealing with this issue since 04 and Chevy nor GM would help me out in identifying the problem. Well 08 came around and the transmission was completely destoryed so that's why I took it to Aamco and hopefully they have found the issue that GM nor Chevy could find. I will post again when I hear back from them. Things they already tried was a new shift assembly kit, PCM, ECM, and a Booster Valve.

Jason24
Look this over and see if it sounds like your problem.

#00-07-30-002B: Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly) - (Jul 19, 2002)

Subject: Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly)

Models: 1997-1999 Buick Riviera

1997-2002 Buick Park Avenue

1998-2002 Buick LeSabre

1999-2002 Buick Regal

2000-2002 Buick Century

2002 Buick Rendezvous

1997-2001 Chevrolet Lumina

1997-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1999-2002 Chevrolet Venture

2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala

1997- 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight

1997-2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora (3.5L)

1997-2002 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix

1999-2002 Pontiac Transport/Montana

2001-2002 Pontiac Aztek

with Hydra-Matic 4T65-E (RPOs MN3, MN7, M15, M76)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-07-30-002A (Section --Automatic Transmission).

Condition
Some owners of the above vehicles with a Hydra-Matic 4T65-E transaxle may comment on harsh upshifts or harsh garage shifts, soft shifts, shudders on hard acceleration, or shifts erratic. These conditions may appear intermittently or set a DTC P1811 or P0748. During diagnosis, a low or high line pressure (actual versus desired) may be observed.

Cause
The above condition may be due to any one of the following which may affect line pressure output: • Sediment inside the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve, causing the PC solenoid valve to mechanically bind.

• Sediment in the valve body, causing the torque signal regulator valve to stick.

• Incorrect transaxle oil level.

Correction
Important: Any of the above conditions may be intermittent, therefore, this test should be performed at least three times.

Refer to the Line Pressure Check Procedure in SI, along with the Line Pressure Specification Table below, to determine if actual versus desired pressures are within the values specified. The Scan Tool is only able to control the PC solenoid valve in PARK and NEUTRAL with the vehicle stopped. This protects the clutches from extremely high or low pressures in DRIVE or REVERSE ranges.

Refer to the Line Pressure Specification Table below. The pressures in the table assume a temperature of 70 °C. The pressure will vary with a change in temperature.

Line Pressure Specification Table Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Current
Approximate Line Pressure*

Metric
English

0 amp
1675-2137 kPa
243-310 psi

0.1 amp
1662-2124 kPa
241-308 psi

0.2 amp
1613-2103 kPa
234-305 psi

0.3 amp
1551-2068 kPa
225-300 psi

0.4 amp
1448-1986 kPa
210-288 psi

0.5 amp
1310-1903 kPa
190-276 psi

0.6 amp
1172-1751 kPa
170-254 psi

0.7 amp
1000-1531 kPa
145-222 psi

0.8 amp
793-1227 kPa
115-178 psi

0.9 amp
565-896 kPa
82-130 psi

1 amp
469-641 kPa
68-93 psi

1.1 amp
448-552 kPa
65-80 psi

*Approximate Line Pressure is measured at an engine speed of 1400 RPM.

If the actual versus desired pressures are not within the values specified, clean the valve body and replace the PC solenoid valve, if necessary.

Check the PC solenoid valve actual versus desired pressures to verify the new PC solenoid valve is responding correctly.

Refer to the Automatic Transaxle Section of the Service Manual for the proper repair procedure.

Line Pressure Check Procedure
Tools Required
J 21867 Universal Pressure Gauge Set

Important: Before performing a line pressure check, verify that the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve is receiving the correct electrical signal from the PCM.

Install a Scan Tool.
Caution: Keep the brakes applied at all times in order to prevent unexpected vehicle motion. Personal injury may result if the vehicle moves unexpectedly.

Start the engine and set the parking brake.
Check for a stored Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).
Repair the vehicle, if necessary.
Check the fluid level. Refer to the Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure.
Check the manual linkage for proper adjustment.

Turn the engine OFF. Remove the oil pressure test hole plug and install the J 21867.
Put the gear selector in PARK range and set the parking brake.
Start the engine and allow the engine to warm up at idle.
Notice: Total test running time should not be longer than two minutes, or else transmission damage could occur.

Access the PC solenoid valve control test on the Scan Tool.
Increase the PC solenoid actual current from 0.0 to 1.0 amps in 0.1 amp increments. Allow the pressure to stabilize for five seconds after each pressure change. Read the corresponding line pressure on the J 21867.
Refer to the Line Pressure specification table. Compare the data to the table.
If pressure readings differ greatly from the table, refer to Incorrect Line Pressure.
Remove the J 21867.
Apply sealant, P/N 12345382 (in Canada, P/N 10953489), to the oil pressure test hole plug.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the oil pressure test hole plug.
Tighten
Tighten the oil pressure test hole plug to 12 N ·m (106 lb in).

Pressure Control Solenoid

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

10478146
Pressure Control Solenoid - Valve Asm.

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use: Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

K6353
Pressure Control Solenoid Replacement
Use published labor operation time

K6560
Valve Body Replacement
Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a " do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Dennyp
May want to look at this as well. Neutrals at stops, Shudders on takeoff: One of the most common problems I have found after the milege gets over roughly 60K miles. The scenario. You are driving in traffic for a while OR your car has sat for a while and is a cold startup. You put the car in Drive range and it wont move, or if driving you come up to a stop light and in heavy traffic and the light turns green and SUPRISE! You are holding up traffic with a car that wont go anywhere. The most common cause of this problem is a worn out inner surface of the Input clutch piston. I will post pics soon so you can better understand why it IS a real problem. Once the inner sealing area wears it can prevent the inner lip seal for the piston from sealing properly. You may find that revving the engine up will finally get the car to move and it will BANG into gear. This is because the pump in the transmission is working harder and moving more fluid thus allowing the added fluid to overcome the leak which prevented the clutch from either initially applying or staying applied. Another area of concern that causes this is a boost valve in the valve body, not near as common but it can cause this problem on a lessor scale. If a fluid/filter service has not been performed in a very long time then a very dirty or plugged up filter can add to problems as it because a major restriction. IF the filter is found to be very dirty on the inside, which can be verified by cutting open the filter, then there are other problems inside the transmission anyways and an overhaul is the only correct way to fix the problem.

I recieved my car back last week. The new shift kit, and check valve fixed the issue. The car is now driving better than it did when I first purchased it in 2000. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jason24