CHEVY DOES NOT WANT TO USUALLY START RIGHT

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

1997 Chevy Monte Carlo 93,000 miles

I have been having this problem for months and I am getting very frustrated as I have been replacing things and it just seems to be getting worse. The car always starts up, but after about 30 turns of the ignition key. I have a new relay, neutral safety switch, new plugs and wires so it's not any of those things. When I turn the ignition key, all dash lights go on and the radio, so it's not the battery. The wires have been cleaned and the battery terminals for corrosion. When the car starts it runs perfectly, no complaints. Also, once it starts, if I shut it off and turn it back on it always starts right up so the problem happens after the car sits and is turned off for a while. The mechanic says that it has to have this problem when I bring it to him for him to check it and of course, it starts up then. I can't leave my car becasue I drive it for work. A friend of mine who has some auto knowledge checked it when it didn't start right up and I was told that there is no power to the starter so that meant it is not the starter. When the car does turn over it's perfect and the car always starts perfectly after sitting in my car and trying 30 or so times. Please help as I am going crazy and no one seems to be able to figure this thing out. Some people tell me that it may be the ignition switch, but I am hesitant to replace that too because I have to replace the switch with the console, which is quite expensive and what if this doesn't work either? What do you think I should try next? Please help me with suggestions. It seems that even my auto saavy friends are stumped and I'm so frustrated.
Anxiously waiting for your reply. Thanks!
Alwaysme

This is a pretty easy one. When you attempt to start vehicle, leave the key on and see if the theft ; light goes out, if it does then repalce the ignition switch, if it stays on and flashes then replace the ignition cylinder. Let me know

Mastertechtim
My son's 1997 Monte has the same problem and we have already replaced the starter and the ignition switch, but with a used one. I am glad that I have found a possible solution to this perplexing problem. I used the mechanics advice and the security light is flashing so I am going to see if my mechanic will heed his advice and replace the ignition cylinder.

Djmweatherman
I found out that it is the diode that controls the security system in the steering column and they will overide the security system. When the security light is flashing the security system is overriding the ability to start the car, like someone is trying to steal it. I got it to the shop and they were done in less than two hours, but it costs around $150 to fix.

Djmweatherman
I found out that they had to change the resistor that is linked to the security system. They bypassed the security system and it has worked, so far. Remember, if the security light is flashing then that is what is keeping the car from running. It cost me $155 to get this fixed.

Djmweatherman

Maryanne3768
I just wanted to say thank you more than I can thank you. It was a broken wire on the cylinder and after a lot of money and frustration she runs like a champ. THANK YOU! Wish I would have found this site earlier!

Maryanne3768
His has stayed running ever since we got the security system bypassed. The resistor was the problem. I hope this helps future owners.

Djmweatherman
" We spent hundreds of dollars before we found out it was the resistor!

Djmweatherman