CHEVY BRAKE FLUID CONTAMINATED WITH OIL

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Brakes problem
2006 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

The brakes have been tightening and loosening as they please. I took it in to get looked at and the guy told me there's oil in my brake fluid. He said that I needed to get all the rubber componants in my brake system replaced and all other parts thoroughly cleaned. He also said I needed to have the brake fluid drained and after cleaning refilled. Which I understand. The car needs new brake pads and rotors as well due to damage caused by the tightening. He insisted that I replace the calipers and wheel cylinders too. He estimated the cost to be between $1500 and $2000. What repairs are absolutely necessary and what would be a fair price for the work that needs to be done?
Indylynn

The only way oil is going to get into the brake system is if someone dumps it into it. If your brake fluid is discolored, which happens, means that your brake fluid needs to be flushed out. You need to clean out as much as you can out of the system. You need to take this to another person and probaly you'l need front pads and rotors. Also if your calipers may be sticking they will need to be filed a little bit to get them to operat smoothly. But find another place to take it, and tell the guy you wnat the system flushed (fluid changed) and let him check the brakes as you may need rear ones too. I don't think it will cost what you were quoted.