CHEVY ENGINE STALL & STARTING PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 84000 miles

There are times when attempting to start (usually when warm ) it will turn over but not fire. When the ignition is turn on the anti theft light is the only one on. If I turn the ignition on & off a number of time or wait the other ignition lights will come on and it will start. It has stalled on interstate driving a couple of times. Again the only light that comes on is the anti theft light. If I wait approx 10 minutes and try starting it will start & run again. I have incurred $ 800 in GM mechanic qualified repair bills to no avail. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced & relearned, the fuel pressure regulator was replaced & the ignition module was replaced to no avail. I have tried a different key. GM mechanics say they don't have an answer. On one site there is a discussion of the GM pass lock system. What is the story---can it be disconnected?
ROBERT C.

The parts that were replaced were good. The problem that you have lies in the security system. If the light is on, it will shut down the engine and not start. Interestingly, if you wait aprox 10 minutes with the key on, it will over ride the system and it should start. THat is what you described. That is why I'm sure that is where the problem is coming from. Now, the bad news is there is no way to bypass the system. Here is the worse news. THe only place with the proper test equipment to diagnose the problem is a dealership. If you have lost faith in the present dealer and there isn't another one close, contact the district rep from GM. The number is in the owner's manual. Explaine the problem and how it's related to the security system. THen tell him / her the dealer can't fix it. He / she will have it taken care of for you.

I will be honest. I can't tell you how many times I answer questions like this dealing with GM vehicles.

Let me know if you have other questions, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.