CHEVY CAN A BAD CAR BATTERY AFFECT AIR CONDITIO

1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 119990 miles

I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu and for the past few years, the air conditioning has been periodically failing. When I try to turn on the air conditioning, sometimes it will turn on, but will not stay on, and sometimes it will not turn on at all.

I bring in the battery because I have noticed that in the area that the A/C button is located on the center console, the backlight is off. In all the rest of the surrounding areas, the backlight is lit, but it is out in the area of the A/C button. Could the battery have anything to do with the outage of the backlight, which leads to the A/C button not working? Or is it just faulty wiring?

I have tried to replace the refrigerant, but it never helped the fact that the A/C wouldn't turn or stay on. The A/C physically works, it's just a matter of it working when I need it to work.

I don't have the actual records of when the battery was last replaced, but I know it's been more than a few years.

Any advice would help.
Kw0ngsta