CHEVY OIL CHANGE

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

1998 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

HAD OIL CHANGED the next day it is bone dry. What do I do? I know that the 10 or so miles I drove with no oil could potentiallly damage the engine if not now later. What should I do? Do I get it towed to a garage or have my buddy look at it? They aren't open till Monday. Should I contact a lawyer? I'm freaking out!
DENTALJEN

Don't freak out. It won't help. Don't need a lawyer. Hopefully won't need one. What you can do is either wait until monday and call them or if there is a shop you normally work with call them. Don't get your buddy involved either. Keep this under a professional situation should it need documentation. Having a third party shop in this may be a good idea if you normally use one. I assume this was a quickie oil change place.

So I do have a guy, who has a small shop, but I can't afford to tow it there -it's 15 miles from where I live. When I tell the (yes it was) quickie place what is going on what should I expect them to do? Just putting oil in it won't fix what could already be damanged. I should have left when dude tried to tell me I needed my engine flushed cuz my oil was old. What he saw was the date of last oil changed, it was barely over the mileage as it's not driven that much. It is not my car, it's my mom's spare car that I borrowed. I'm still freaking out. What if oil gets put back in it but then 50 miles from now everything goes to hell? What is reasonable for the oil place to do to fix their screw up?

DENTALJEN
I understand the stress, but you can't change things and I am confident things will work out.

The quickies rely on extra sales that you often don't need. We spent several years and still are a third party shop that deals with this type of thing.

IF this turns out that they are responsible, they will have to make good. First thing that needs to be done is have a professional look at it. I recommend you call the shop who you are familiar with and talk to him as he is familiar with your area and maybe has better insight as to how the quickie shop works. OR find the closest shop with a recommendation from a neighbor/freind etc that car can be towed to. You need a diagnosis. A third shop is best in this case.

IT needs to be determined if there is any leak or other cause for no oil. Once that is established, the shop needs to contact the quickie shop manager. At that point they discuss which way they want to go.

If there is no leak, other than from the drain plug or filter then logically oil will be added and the car started and observed. I would fully expect that if there is fault on the quickie shop, then all expenses should be paid. IF it seems to operate normal than the oil pressure should be checked to be sure it is holding good pressure. If it is then you need to discuss with them the what if scenario. IF you don't like the what if scenario, then you get a lawyer involved.

Quickie oil changes run into this more often than you can imagine because of the quality of " technician" they use.