CHEVY EVAPORATE SYSTEM MONITOR RESET

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

Computer problem
1997 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

I have a 97 Chevy Lumina and I had some trouble
codes show up and replace the appropriate parts.
Now I am waiting for the computer to reset itself
to show ready for the systems it checks. What does
it take to get the computer to completely reset
itself? I have check the system with a scanner about
every other day and it still hasn't completely reset yet. I am still waiting for the evaporation system and EGR to reset. I need to get the car to pass the emission check so I can get the license renewed.
Dyuhelp

Hi: Either disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes or I believe you can reset it with the scanner.

As I said in my original, I have scanner and it will clear the codes. What I need to know is after the codes
are cleared how many miles, how many starts, or whatever does it takes before the system will show ready. I cleared the codes last week and now all the system show ready except the EGR and EVAP systems. I need to know what does it takes to get them to show ready when I check them with my scanner. I can't pass the emission test until they
are in the ready mode.

Dyuhelp
Normally between 100 and 150 miles should do it. It's all based on cycles, but normally that many miles should do it.

The Lumina has been driven at least 300 miles and the EVAP and EGR system are still not ready. Do you have any idea how many cycles it takes? I assume a
cycle is a engine start and then turned off. Would a
inoperative gas gage keep the EVAP system from being Ready. I think it the sending unit in the tank
that broke.

Dyuhelp
A bad fuel cap will keep the evap light going. If the sending unit is bad and leaking, it could do the same. Finally, a cycle is based on many things, not just start-up. It is determined on driving conditions, speed, eng temp. Regardless, 300 miles should have done it.